Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom


"Once you learn how to die, you learn how to live." 
                                                             - Morrie Schwartz






    There is an element of danger in reading books written about people who are dying. Hence, when this book was recommended and I had bought the book ( on an impulse mind you, the book cover is quite plain, unappealing actually), it just sat on my bookshelf in its pristine condition. The right moment to read the book finally presented itself when I had to take a quick weekend trip. A spiritual trip, so I was in the  right temperament too.

   The best thing about this book for me is that, though it is about a dying man, Tuesdays with Morrie was not depressing to read. I did not find any ground shattering revelations about dying nor did I tear up while reading.  The "life lessons" were about living than about accepting death or regrets in life . This I like. And introspectively, Morrie Schwartz wouldn't have wanted either, he did say that death was inevitable but life goes on. The narrative style is fairly simple, Mitch Albom does not depend on dramatic effects to stir one up, he allows Morrie's aphorisms to do that.

    Now I am not ready to look for any bird on my shoulder and ask it " Is today the day I die?". And in retrospect, having read the book, most of the aphorisms, I believe are quite common or known to most of us. We have heard ( or read) it said by " any wise man". But what puts this book on a pedestal is how Morrie strings together these revelations as something easy to imbibe.


" Devote yourself to loving others, devote yourself to your community around you, and devote yourself to create something that gives you purpose and meaning."

   Isn't this simple? Simple but forgotten in our rat race, in our daily grind. We have gone astray. and this is when we need a teacher, a guiding light, people like Morrie Schwartz who can light up the path. Morrie Schwartz was truly " A Teacher to the Last" Spend some time and read the book, if you haven't already, it will be worth every moment.

4 comments:

  1. Kithaabi,
    Very good review and good message on life lessons. I am sure the review will inspire more people to pick the book up...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super Awesome!! Truly one of the best reviews I have read about this book!!! Way to go girl.

    ReplyDelete